Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Of Taglines And More

* At the Spencer's in Pacific Mall, Kaushambi, noticed a perfume a few days ago:
Cool Girl
For Women
The men are still alive. Mostly single. And desperate.


* At Akshardham Temple, New Delhi, a month ago, on a tourist bus:
Jain Travels
So? So do I. And the Sharmas, Talwars, Singhs, Mallyas, Agrawals etc. etc.


* On the paper towel dispenser in the restroom at the British Council:
Pull
Here
While pulling out a tissue, I vaguely happened to glance at it, and my brain registered the words with the last two alphabets of both the words transposed. What I read was:
Pure
Hell
Does put things in perspective.


* On a wall in East Patel Nagar, New Delhi:
Yahaan par peshaab karna aur poster chhipkaana manaa hai.
Interesting to note that the two have become synonymous. Peeing in front of the walls is as much an advertisement of our culture/sensibilities as putting up awful posters in senseless places is defecating on the walls.


*On a hilly road to Shimla:
Please be gentle on my curves.



- On a different note, saw a book "The Mapmaker's Wife" by Robert Whitaker in the British Council library today. Have also heard of it somewhere sometime earlier. The blurb sounded very interesting. Must read it sometime. Go google.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my favourites has always been this one I saw a long time ago on a trek in the Gharwhal region. It was a small refreshment shack in the middle of nowhere, and it said: "Lunch and dinner served here at all times".

Go figure!

And another (I have a photo somewhere) in Lansdowne, UP: "Perphection Tailors"

Perfection is probably overrated anyway ;-)

(By the way, your blog insists I am in New Delhi!)

Anonymous said...

Read this in a bus on my way to Joshi Math (Uttaranchal):
"Frust Aid box gaadi me hai."

I posted the photo on my blog.

Read one on a forlorn forsaken wall in Kanpur on my way to Rave:
"Peshaab Karna mana hai."

Kaha bhaiya? Kidhar? Is peeing completely banned now? Hail Behen Mayawati!

And the best: "Luxmi sabko pyaari hai, chunnav chinh almaari hai." Read it on a banner during Block level elections in Kanpur.

Really, Luxmi sabko pyaari hai and it is understandable why the chunaav chinh is almaari. That's where it goes. :)

Onion

Swetank Gupta said...

Payal
Well, people are perphectly phree to eat lunch or dinner at whatever time they want to, so I don't see the issue with that. :P

And blog is either lagging behind or a little ahead of its times when it claims that you are in New Delhi!

Onion
Haan, aajkal to lagta hai ki sab jagah hi mana hai. Waise hi, if you believe these online surveys, half the things will reduce your sperm count and the remaining half will cause cancer.

As for Luxmi, whether it's the money or the girl, the benefit of the almaari is that koi bhi aaye, to use almaari mein chhupa lo! Samjhe?

Butterfly said...

Great post!One of the best you have ever written! Very very humorous!

R said...

Still laughing my guts out on the first one. Jeez, that killed me!

Swetank Gupta said...

Sinjini
Thanks! That's a big compliment.

Rohit
:)
I Know!

That Girl said...

Very funny post!! Really, your funniest ever!
Those hilly road ones are the best. I'll mention two in the post I'm planning to write about my trip. And, well, if that post never gets written, I'll post them here :P
Lmao at Payal and Onion too, the things that they quoted! Hilarious.

Swetank Gupta said...

Thanks. :)

How about the post, Ami? I'm waiting. And I'd rather you write a complete post of your own than post them here. It's just so much better when you write more.