Friday, July 11, 2008

Gagging Rushdie

On the occasion of Midnight's Children winning the booker of Bookers, BBC has come up with this competition where the entire 672 page saga has to be retold in 67 words - yes, 67 words. Rushdie does have a way with words and language is his forte, but he also tends to overdo it at times. Can you cut out the gibberish and tell us the story of Salim Sinai in 67 meaningful words?

I'm thinking of Amiya right now. She has both the inclination and the talent to do it, and it helps that this book is one of her all time favourites. Go, girl!

The others may try too, of course.

4 comments:

Butterfly said...

I am not going to try this one coz I haven't read the original book.

You had asked me how I had written those strong words on your 'High on Haiku' post. To tell you the truth, I had got the idea from Julius Caesar. Remember the conspirators and Brutus' words after murdering Caesar?

Swetank Gupta said...

Well yeah, I couldn't attempt it too since I haven't read the original either, not entirely, at least.

And oh, didnt make that connection about the haiku. Thanks for the clarification. :)

That Girl said...

Oh man, 67 words. I'll sure give it a shot... in a bit :)

Swetank Gupta said...

You should! I have hopes from you.