Saturday, June 28, 2008

Charming Charbagh

There’s a regular din of traffic from behind the roseate walls that envelopes the subconscious. The drizzle, accompanied by the wind flitting past, sprays my face with tiny droplets. I squint my eyes to keep the water out, then relax, closing them completely and losing myself to the invigorating concoction of air and water, and that musty smell of raw earth. The ground blushes as some of the drops rush forward to embrace it with a splatter, and then slowly disappear, imparting a tinge of rosy hue. I walk barefoot on the textured floor, a pebble pricks the toe, turning it a beetroot red. The breeze turns to wind, the vines swing and sing. I run my fingers along the wall, feel the crests and troughs on the uneven surface, quietly exploring the vertical terrain. I draw a little closer, tentatively, putting my ear to it, and hear the wall humming slightly, a dull vibration, a silenced thunder concealed under the stony bosom. The fountain makes one valiant attempt after another but sky-high is an ambition too tall for it. It rises a nimble foot, and plops back into the reservoir, an orchestra, a symphony of bubbles bursting to order.

5 comments:

Butterfly said...

Me First!:-)

Butterfly said...

Very nicely written post!:-)

And,I can see that I've missed a lot on ur new blog. Sorry for that. My exams are on. But, I'll read them all soon...

Swetank Gupta said...

Sinjini
Yay! YF! Yay! :)

Thanks! And no problem. Read when you get time. All the best for the exams. Do well.

R said...

Totally dig this piece. And just saw your books' update. A Fine Balance is...truly depressing and amazingly written. I'm still curious about Marquez though :-/

Swetank Gupta said...

Thanks man!

Yeah, A Fine Balance is amazingly written. Very finely balance, if I may. :)

Curious about Marquez in what way?