Friday, July 18, 2008

Compassionate Delhi?

Today when most eateries, food joints and restaurants strictly prohibit outside eatables within their premises, it came as a pleasant surprise when I could easily sit on a (plastic, Neelkamal, to be precise) chair in an open restaurant at Bhikaji Cama Place and eat the food my mom packed for me without being asked to leave. I was a little apprehensive initially that they'd ask me to move away even though I had ordered two soft drinks, so I pulled a chair in a corner and sat with my lunch. As for the plastic chairs, to their credit, all the chairs they had were plastic, and the same quality, so no discrimination there either.

What was surprising, and pleasing, was that three different waiters came to me within the duration of 15 minutes that I sat there, offering me a glass of water, while two came and asked me to sit at a proper table for four and eat my meal in peace. I declined their offer for I felt guilty of robbing them of a place for genuine customers, but just the gesture was so endearing. The owners, a Sikh father-son duo, were equally accommodating. It was the best part of my otherwise terrible day.

Wasn't Delhi supposed to be rude and mean and heartless? What happened suddenly? It reaffirms my faith that stereotypes are exaggerated and more often than not, not applicable. Also, there's more good in people than we like to believe. One just has to give them enough time to show it, or give oneself enough time to see it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful post. Reaffirming.

Swetank Gupta said...

Thanks! It is.

R said...

Superb :)

Jayant said...

A few years ago, at the peak of winters, when a guy sitting next to me in a bus saw me shivering, he changed his position slightly so that his back was covering the broken window to protect me from the strong winter draft.

Yes, it is reaffirming. And stereotypes are exaggerated.

Swetank Gupta said...

Yep. Great to know. Makes me feel good about the city I love most! :)

Anonymous said...

Every weekend i used to visit this website, as i want enjoyment,
as this this web page conations truly fastidious funny data too.


Also visit my web blog medi weightloss clinic