Friday, August 8, 2008

Poor Ol' Me and Politics of Correctness

We finished with the British Council course today. By the end of it, I was told that I am nothing like a true Saggitarian, whatever that is, and I didn't really mind that. I've never really fit under any stereotype, not much anyway.

Another thing they said was that I'm too politically correct. I see where they are coming from but I still tend to disagree. When, in my defense, I claimed that I was just a nice person, I was given an answer which was amusing and probably even true: "Saying that you are nice is just a politically correct way of saying that you are politically correct."

So much for all my niceties over the past two months! (See, see, I'm being mean now, I'm not politically correct.)

1 comment:

Vinod Khare said...

When I say that someone is too politically correct I usually mean that they use too many words in their conversation to qualify any thing. This hampers effective communication in everyday chit-chat and that is something that bothers me.

For example, "I know that I'm making a broad generalization here, but the way she's been cultured, she's acquired some habits that are, you know, so steriotypcally female, as in the popular stereotype of female, that it really bugs me."

Instead "She's so girly." would be much better.

Okay, maybe I'm not talking about political correctness at all. :P